The best high protein snacks
It is important to ensure an adequate intake of protein and those following a vegan or vegetarian diet are often searching for ways of getting more plant based protein into their diet. There are plenty of high protein snacks that are suitable for vegans. Here are ten of the best:
- The Honest Bean Co: Roasted Fava bean Snacks
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, peanuts, and pumpkin seeds are all high in protein and healthy fats.
- Vegan protein bars: Look for bars made with plant-based protein sources like pea, fava bean or soy protein. We love Misfits.
- Edamame: These soybeans are a good source of protein and fibre and can be enjoyed as a snack when boiled or steamed and lightly salted.
- Hummus and veggies: Hummus is made from chickpeas and is high in protein and fibre. Pair it with sliced veggies for a satisfying snack. Our favourite hummus has to be ChicP.
- Tofu or tempeh: Both tofu and tempeh are made from soybeans and are high in protein. Try them pan-fried or baked for a tasty snack.
- Vegan jerky: Made from seitan or soy protein, vegan jerky is a high-protein snack that can be a great option for when you're on the go. Give Billy Franks Vegan Jerky a try!
- Nut butter: Peanut butter, almond butter, and cashew butter are all high in protein and can be spread on toast or enjoyed with fruit. We love Outdoor Provisions on-the-go sachets of nut butter.
- Vegan cheese: Many vegan cheeses are made from soy protein or nuts and can be a great source of protein for snacking. I am nut ok has to be a winner for us!
- Protein smoothie: Blend together plant-based protein powder, almond milk, and your favourite fruits for a filling and nutritious snack. We do love a Huel shake and now they are using Fava bean protein, hooray!